The Canadian Northern Society was founded in 1986 with a goal to preserve the 1913 heritage railway station at Meeting Creek, Alberta. The Society takes its name in honour of the old Canadian Northern Railway, which originally constructed the railway branch that linked Vegreville with Drumheller via Meeting Creek, Donalda, Stettler, Big Valley, and Rowley. Operated by volunteers, the society is a not-for-profit registered charity.
Over the years the activities of the Society have grown and evolved from the initial preservation of the Meeting Creek depot. Today, its primary focus is the preservation of three distinct heritage railway depots and adjacent community parks (at Big Valley, Camrose, and Meeting Creek, Alberta), a classic prairie grain elevator (at Meeting Creek), and a host of artifacts related not only to the railway but also to certain connected aspects of rural western Canada’s history. The Society is also actively engaged in educational programs, historical research, and documenting history. Volunteers from the Canadian Northern Society also work with other like-minded organizations to capture history and build community – which has become the fitting theme and motto for the Society’s continued efforts. Projects affiliated with the Canadian Northern Society include the stations in Canora, Saskatchewan, Viking, Alberta, Donalda, Alberta, (moved from Vandura, Saskatchewan) and the roundhouse in Hanna, Alberta.
Please view the pages below to learn more about each of our sites.
Big Valley Railway Station and Roundhouse Interpretive Park
Camrose Heritage Railway Station and Park
Meeting Creek Railway Station and Grain Elevator
In addition to the Canadian Northern Society’s efforts, we encourage visitors to enjoy related attractions that central Alberta has to offer.