CAMROSE HERITAGE RAILWAY STATION EVENTS 2022
- March 5th 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
“Plant a Prairie Plot – Save Our Soils” Workshop
Camrose Heritage Railway Station
The workshop includes the reasons and benefits behind planting native plants and flowers and practical ways to plant or convert a prairie plot – large or small. Participants will have an opportunity to construct a personalized plan for your own use based upon the information presented.
- April 2nd 12:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Hands-on Pruning Workshop
at Camrose Heritage Railway Station.
No cost to volunteers who are willing to assist locally with pruning of the many types of shrubs, vines and roses. Alternatively, entrance donation of $15.00 per person.
- April 25th Camrose Work Bee
Camrose Work Bee
Enjoy being part of an old fashioned Work Bee at the Camrose Heritage Railway Station to prepare the station and gardens for seasonal opening. Call 780-672-3099 to register.
- May 14th Meeting Creek Work Bee
Enjoy being part of an old fashioned Work Bee at Meeting Creek Grasslands and spring cleaning of Station/Grain Elevator site. Call 780-672-3099 or e-mail email@example.com to register.
- May 21 Camrose Heritage Railway Station is Open for Seasonal Visitors.
Visit our historic displays, enjoy interpretive tours, visit the White Elephant gift shop for unique treasures. Watch the Morgan Garden railway and enjoy a ride on the track motor cars.
- May 28 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Annual Plant Sale at Camrose
Tour the Station Gardens. Purchase or exchange local plants for your garden. Bring your gardening questions. Donations of healthy plants are most welcome.
- June 11 ‘Papua New Guinea, Stone Age to Independence’ Audio-visual Presentation.
- Hear the story of Erhard Pinno’s eight years of teaching to empower students and Indigenous teachers to be independent. Viewing and sale of artifacts. Experience the taste and culture of the Papua New Guinea highlands cuisine by purchasing a lunch plate at 11:30 a.m. followed by presentation.
- August 6th 1:00 to 4:30 p.m. Camrose Heritage Railway Station Family Day
Back by popular demand! A day for the children and young at heart. Speeder rides all day, Thomas and friends will be running on the Morgan Garden Railway, face painting. Play in the Children’s Secret Garden. Scavenger Hunt and Singing with Lucy the Clown. Railway cookies, floss candy and beverage can be purchased. Entrance by donation.
Call 780-672-3099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Opening November 4th – Pre-Christmas White Elephant Gift Shop. Opens November 4, 2022 with days to be announced. Open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each Friday for those special unique gifts. Donations of gift items for sale are gratefully accepted.
MEETING CREEK SITE EVENTS – 2022
- Year Round – Explore our Historic Railway Station, Grain Elevator, Grassland and Natural Linear Park
Take a self guided tour of the station and elevator at your leisure. Call ahead to arrange a tour, or visit Half Diamond Sales in Meeting Creek to arrange entry into the buildings. Choose to walk the trail back from the grassland and read the historic signs. Stop and walk the Labyrinth. Using a Discovery Pack hike or cycle the Linear Trail northwest of the Station and discover the unique flora and fauna. Bring your group to birdwatch in the early morning. Cycle the trail from Meeting Creek to Edberg. For more information call 780-672-3099 or 780-608-9892. Admission by donation.
- Spring and Summer 2022 – Community Gardens at Meeting Creek Station Grounds
We are welcoming all to help us grow a community garden at the Meeting Creek Railway Station Park. If you are interested in joining the continued development and upgrading of the Meeting Creek site, please let us know. There currently is an existing fenced garden on site that will be expanded and more raised beds developed. Each participant or group of participants would receive space for one 10 x 20 foot box. The Canadian Northern Society will fund the materials and land, each participant is responsible for building their box, and suppling their own compost and seeds. Screened topsoil will be provided on request. For more information or to reserve your space, please call Michelle at 780-672-3099 or Karen at 780-608-9892.
- June 8 Student Program – Exploring the Land, Meeting Creek
Held at Meeting Creek, this is a curriculum based program covering science and social aspects for fifth graders. Time: 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. adjusted according to distance students travel. Students discover through hands-on experiences and journaling tasks the local history and flora and fauna of the Linear Parks trails of the area. Teachers, book early!
- Sept 17 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Meeting Creek Open House – Tour the 1913 station and 1917 elevator with knowledgeable guides. Stop and walk the Labyrinth and learn the indigenous history of Meeting Creek. Walk the linear park, bird watch, and discover the flora and fauna.
- September 24 Meeting Creek Bee Day – to plant Native grass seed on Grasslands at Meeting Creek. Enjoy working with volunteers and experiencing the planting of a prairie plot.
Big Valley SITE EVENTS – 2022
July 9th 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Canadian Northern Railway 125 at Big Valley
Meet role playing characters from the early days of the Canadian Railway. Enjoy activities for young and old. Rosco the Magic Clown, Delirium Brass Band, Off the Rails band, Big Valley Station and town tours.